Thursday, June 25, 2009

Ipoh Sa Hor Fun @ Thean Chun, Ipoh

Ipoh is famous in Malaysia for having good eats at great prices. Thean Chun is one of those rare places that serves very traditional food at affordable prices. The coffee shop is old with an old-world charm about it what with the marbled tables and wooden chairs.


This place serves the best Sa Hor Fun I have ever tasted having grown-up in Kuala Lumpur. The hor fun (or rice noodles) were very smooth and very fine compared to the versions we have in Kuala Lumpur. Additionally, the soup was made from chicken and prawn stock and was well flavoured. The bowl of hor fun was generously topped with shredded chicken and cooked prawns with chives and fried shallots.


You can increase the yummylicious factor by further ordering a separate plate of steamed chicken and beansprouts to go with your noodles. The steamed chicken was extremely smooth and was drizzled with a delicious sauce. The short and plump beansprouts (courtesy of the mountain water available only in Ipoh town, so it was said) were blanched lightly and retained its crunchiness and served with a light sauce that complimented the beansprouts perfectly.

I wasn't prepared to have dessert but I spotted many tables ordering caramel custard. I was so excited that I promptly waived to the waitress and ordered the custard myself. It was well worth it and the custard has a very smooth and light texture and was not too cloyingly sweet.

There was also another stall selling "chee cheong fun" which is served in at least 3 types of sauces. If I remember correctly, plain, sweet and curry. I only like my "chee cheong fun" sweet. I just wonder if the "hor fun" in the "sa hor fun" is the same as the "fun" in the "chee cheong fun". Both noodles were very fine in texture and very smooth.


Additionally, one can always order the satay in which we did not order. I am truly regretting it now for not taking the opportunity ordering it. What can I say, Ipoh folks are certainly lucky folks to have food cooked traditionally.


Thean Chun is located at:
73, Bandar Bijih Timah
30000 Ipoh
Perak

No comments: